I am a partner of an Australian Citizen (Permanent Resident). Can I travel to Australia during the COVID-19 Travel Ban?


Yes, you can if you hold a current Partner visa (subclasses 100, 309, 801 and 820). You do not need to apply for an exemption to travel/ enter Australia during the travel bans.

However, if you do not hold any of the Partner visas (subclasses 100, 309, 801 and 820), you may still be allowed to travel to/enter Australia if you have a valid visa and have been granted an entry exemption by the Department of Home Affairs (‘the Department’).

The current processing time for an entry exemption is between 2 and 7 days. A successful entry exemption can also help expedite the processing time of a partner or visitor visa lodged on the basis of a partner relationship.

To apply for an exemption from the Department, you will need to provide evidence of your sponsor or de facto relationship with your partner.  Please note that this exemption will only be granted on a case by case basis and is dependent on the strength of your evidence of your sponsor or de facto relationship with your partner. Such evidence can be found here.

Please note that this exemption is only granted on a case by case basis.  You still may not be successful but it is worth a try. Since the Australian boarder closure in March 2020, we have obtained countless successful entry exemptions for our clients, often within 2 attempts.

Bambrick Legal’s registered Migration Lawyers can assist with any further queries and provide additional information. We offer services Australia-wide and in other international locations, and our staff are able to communicate via most online platforms, including WhatsApp and Zoom.

To find out more click here or contact one of our friendly staff at Bambrick Legal today:


Send us a message 

For enquiries, please fill in the following contact form